Short introduction ;)

Welcome to UFONV Sky Watch!
This forum has been created for sharing info on various techniques of filming UFO, Paranormal and Natural Phenomenon using Night Vision, Low LUX CCD and IR modified camcorders. Show off your discoveries and discuss the methods you used to do it! Learn how to film the unknown. Don't hesitate to ask us questions about this new and exciting hobby.
Use this section for introductions and announcements.

Moderator: Moderator

Short introduction ;)

Unread postby skywatcher » Tue May 24, 2011 5:44 pm

Hello @all :smile:

I'm not really new to this forum, but today i posted the first time here. So maybe it's appropriate to introduce myself. ;)

My name is Wolfgang, i'm from Germany, and i'm into UFO research for almost 20 years. I'm working as a software engineer (embedded software) but i also have good knowledge about hardware, electronics, optics, night vision and sensor technology in general. Of course, i'm using all this stuff for detecting and tracking UFOs by means of automated stations using optical and other sensors.

Some of my equipment:

- Some conventional NV devices, from cheap Gen1 russian to Gen2 US military
- Thermal camera with 320x240 resolution (BST sensor)
- some color and b/w cameras, including Watec 902H
- Panasonic HDC SD707 camcorder
- NV HD camcorder system based on MX9644 tube and Samsung HD camcorder
- Celestron C8 telescope
- Canon EOS500D DSLR with Sigma 18-250mm, 50 mm 1:1.4, 150-500 mm lenses
- Yukon Ranger and Ranger Pro digital NV
- Webcam-based tracking system (self-developed)
- some sensors which may (or may not) detect the presence of UFOs
- etc... ;o)

I'm looking forward to interesting discussions... :wink:
skywatcher
Regular
Regular

Re: Short introduction ;)

Unread postby UFO Hunter » Wed May 25, 2011 12:09 am

Hi Wolfgang :wave: pleased to meet you and hope to see some of the captures you may have :alien:

You have impressive array of equipment there, can I ask a couple of questions?

1) as you have the ranger and pro versions, which do you find best, or what are the advantages of having both?

2) you say you have some 'sensors' that may or may not be able to detect the presence of UFOs, very intriguing, can you tell us more about that please?

glad you decided to post and hope to hear more from you :smile:

Trev :grin:
UFO Hunter
Super Poster
Super Poster

Unread postby skywatcher » Thu May 26, 2011 8:52 am

Unfortunately i have never seen (or captured) anything which i could not explain... i only see airplanes, satellites, meteors etc... :???:

Yukon Ranger vs. Ranger Pro:

I first bought the Ranger, and then the Ranger Pro. I think both are using the same hardware (also the same CCD) and only the software is different. The Ranger Pro begins to increase the integration time when the light level goes below a certain threshold, and it adds 2x2 pixels to one pixel to reduce noise, but of course this reduces the resolution to 50%. These features can be helpful in some cases, but i would like to have the possibility to switch them on and off manually, and not automatically. A big disandvantage in both models is the screen which is much too bright for nighttime use so that you almost get blinded and if you want to look with your naked eyes you see nothing for some minutes.

Maybe the Pulsar Recon X550R would be a better choice now, because it allows to switch on and off the 'sum light' feature manually, it has switchable screen colors (red/green) and it has a built-in recorder so you don't have to mess around with external recorders and cables. But at the moment it seems to be not available in Germany or even in Europe. :cry:

Sensors:

There is a long history of using sensors for UFO detection. It started with magnetic sensors in the 50's... and after this there was not much further progress made. Of course magnetic sensors are useful, but they are disturbed by all kind of other things, so the magnetic disturbance can never be proof for the presence of UFOs. I'm convinced that UFOs are a hyper-dimensional phenomenon, so this should be the starting point for sensor development. I can not go into theoretical details here but one possibility for detecting 'dimensional anomalies' (which should occur anytime when UFOs enter or leave our 3D space) could be to detect changes in the magnetic or electrical field constant (which is only constant in undisturbed 3D space). Measuring the capacity of a capacitor with very high resolution should give an excellent sensor. Of course the problems arise in the details... you have to eliminate error sources like sudden temperature changes, RF interferences etc... but i have solved most of these problems, and a prototype is running at my home for some months now. But i have detected no anomalies so far, which is not very surprising though, at least it speaks for the quality of the sensor, which don't give false alarms. :wink:

At the moment i'm working on a 'light receiver' which translates very small modulations of the light into audio signals. This can be used to monitor the ambient light, or it can be used with a lens on front of the photodiode to look at certain objects. It can be mounted parallel to a camcorder, and the audio signal can be fed into the external microphone jack of the camcorder (if it has one) and then you can hear light modulations of objects you are recording on video. This may be useful to detect the difference between a satellite and a UFO, if you hear strange sounds it can not be a satellite reflecting the sunlight.

I have also many other ideas, but not enough time to realize them all... :sad:

P.S.: Did you modify your FinePix 5000 by yourself ? Is it easy to disassemble ? I tried to disassemble my Lumix FZ50 last week but i didn't get off the back cover after removing all visible screws...
skywatcher
Regular
Regular

Unread postby UFO Hunter » Thu May 26, 2011 11:42 am

UFO Hunter wrote:P.S.: Did you modify your FinePix 5000 by yourself ? Is it easy to disassemble ? I tried to disassemble my Lumix FZ50 last week but i didn't get off the back cover after removing all visible screws...

Yes I did modify the camera myself, it was a bit tricky but the screws were fairly easy to see, sometimes plastic covers are clipped in and so need prizing out. Not that I'm recommending using force though! after removing the thin film of IR filtering the camera would never focus absolutely correctly, i believe it could be because of the different light that now reaches CCD, but perhaps also its hard to put back together just right, and the thickness of the filter itself or the now 'lack of' may make a difference? So if you do decide to get into and remove the filter be aware it may never take excellent pictures again.

This is my second capture of a UFO with the finepix, using the video function

http://youtu.be/gjDxpXJgBO0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here are a couple pictures using the still's function, some nice shots can still be taken heres ones using an IR filter

riverside friday 018.JPG

Ilkley moor Yorkshire 035.JPG

And heres some without a filter so the colours are washed out

riverside friday 019.JPG

carmelite monastery aylesford 003.JPG

carmelite monastery aylesford 012.JPG

Thanks for sharing your views on the two Rangers :thanks: , it does sound like the original might be preferred over the pro. And your sensors sound very interesting, you obviously have a good knowledge of electronics .. will be interesting to hear of any success you get with them, especially your magnetic /electronic field sensor, sounds very promising :goodjob:
UFO Hunter
Super Poster
Super Poster

Unread postby navajojimmy » Thu May 26, 2011 12:31 pm

At the moment i'm working on a 'light receiver' which translates very small modulations of the light into audio signals. This can be used to monitor the ambient light, or it can be used with a lens on front of the photodiode to look at certain objects. It can be mounted parallel to a camcorder, and the audio signal can be fed into the external microphone jack of the camcorder (if it has one) and then you can hear light modulations of objects you are recording on video. This may be useful to detect the difference between a satellite and a UFO, if you hear strange sounds it can not be a satellite reflecting the sunlight.

I hope you can get something to work. I have looked into this before but could not see how it would be sensitive enough for an orbiting object. You can make something rather easily to look at a street light and hear sounds but an object in space may be harder. This sort of thing if figured out would defiantly be helpful. Each object would have a different signature that could be heard and also seen digitally with software such as "Audacity".

Jim

Welcome to the forum skywatcher.

:wave:
Jim
Help FAQ's
:help:Methods of filming UFO's
:help:Getting Started... UFO Spotting Recording Tips
:help:Does your camcorder have a video-in option?
:help:NIGHT VISION TUBES......THE BASICS
:help:Recording from the Yukon Ranger RCA output
My Equipment
ATN Night Spirit Gen 2+ (5X lens)
Yukon Digital Ranger 5X42 (with DVR attached)
Pulsar Recon 550R
Watec 902H2 Ultimate (gain mod)
Panasonic AG-DVC30 (Pics)
Mintron MTV-63W3N (IR pass mod)
Panasonic SDR-S26
Aiptek A-HD+ 1080P

My Sites
UFONV Sky Watch Forum
UFONV2 YouTube Channel
Jim Horn UFONV YT Repository
navajojimmy
Owner
Owner

Unread postby skywatcher » Thu May 26, 2011 6:07 pm

UFO Hunter wrote:after removing the thin film of IR filtering the camera would never focus absolutely correctly, i believe it could be because of the different light that now reaches CCD, but perhaps also its hard to put back together just right, and the thickness of the filter itself or the now 'lack of' may make a difference?

Even if the filter is very thin, it changes the length of the optical path. Even if the shift of the focal plane is only 1/10 mm you will recognize it, especially in wide-angle position. To avoid this, a piece of normal glass of comparable thickness should be inserted in place of the filter. It doesn't matter if it's slightly thicker than the filter because this would shift the focus in the 'right' direction so you would only lose some centimeters on the 'near side' and not on the 'infinity side' (i hope you understand what i mean :???: ). The autofocus never works absolutely, it adjusts the lenses until it sees a sharp picture, but it can not adjust the lenses beyond the mechanical limits.

navajojimmy wrote:I hope you can get something to work. I have looked into this before but could not see how it would be sensitive enough for an orbiting object. You can make something rather easily to look at a street light and hear sounds but an object in space may be harder. This sort of thing if figured out would defiantly be helpful. Each object would have a different signature that could be heard and also seen digitally with software such as "Audacity".

The first thing i tried was this one: http://amasci.com/freenrg/ufoscope.html

It works, but the sensitivity is not very high, and the dynamic range is quite poor. What i want is a circuit which operates from starlight to sunlight. For example, if i can detect switching on a flashlight from 100 m away at night, i want to detect switching on the same flashlight from the same distance in full sunlight. This problem has been solved now. At the moment i'm optimizing it to get the best possible performance. The next step will be the test if i can hear aircraft lights at night.
skywatcher
Regular
Regular

Unread postby jotafl » Thu May 26, 2011 7:07 pm

Welcome wolfgang, looking forward your findings on the UFO detection software/hardware. Good luck ! :alien:
Jay ;)

Panasonic AG-DVC30
OEC 720nm, 850nm, 950nm, 1000nm ir filter
UFOCapture Software
Toshiba IK1K
Kowa Lens 10mm-300mm
Wofcom WL4DVR
Yukon Ranger w/V-Out
DieHard 1150 (for mobility)

YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/nvseufos
jotafl
Super Poster
Super Poster

Unread postby navajojimmy » Thu May 26, 2011 7:18 pm

William Beaty is a ufonv member from early on. Have not seen or heard from him in a long time. That is where I first heard of the visual to audio circuits. I hope if you get it perfected you can give us a DIY step by step description of what you did. We can all benefit from it.
http://www.ufonv.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=238&p=480#p480
Jim
Help FAQ's
:help:Methods of filming UFO's
:help:Getting Started... UFO Spotting Recording Tips
:help:Does your camcorder have a video-in option?
:help:NIGHT VISION TUBES......THE BASICS
:help:Recording from the Yukon Ranger RCA output
My Equipment
ATN Night Spirit Gen 2+ (5X lens)
Yukon Digital Ranger 5X42 (with DVR attached)
Pulsar Recon 550R
Watec 902H2 Ultimate (gain mod)
Panasonic AG-DVC30 (Pics)
Mintron MTV-63W3N (IR pass mod)
Panasonic SDR-S26
Aiptek A-HD+ 1080P

My Sites
UFONV Sky Watch Forum
UFONV2 YouTube Channel
Jim Horn UFONV YT Repository
navajojimmy
Owner
Owner

Unread postby Rondo » Fri May 27, 2011 3:37 pm

Welcome to the forum and look forward to more of your posts.

Rondo
My Equipment
NexStar 6se telescope, Samsung SCB-2000 finder scope,
Meade LS6 telescope, MaxView40 Video adapter, Sony HDR-CX550V Handycam, 950,850,750 IR pass filters
Yukon Digital Ranger 5X42 to EasyCAP USB Video Capture to UFO Capture Software V2.22
ZOpid ZMP6 Digital Media Player/Recorder (for standalone video from Ranger)
AVS Video Editor (converts ZOpid MP4 format to Vista compatible files)
Rondo

Unread postby skywatcher » Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:50 pm

Some photos i made last week during a short trip to Austria with my modified Lumix FZ50 and a B&W 403 filter:

The contrast on distant objects is far greater compared to the visible spectrum.
skywatcher
Regular
Regular

Unread postby Squiip » Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:25 pm

Welcome skywatcher, your Webcam-based tracking system (self-developed), sounds interesting.
Care to tell more about it? can it track a moving object?
"Flying saucers are, by definition, unidentified flying objects, but very few unidentified flying objects are flying saucers. I am interested in the latter, not the former." Stanton T. Friedman

Pulsar Recon Digital Night Vision 550 R
JVC Everio GZ-MG135E
Nikon D70 28-80mm
Mizar Model 130 SL Reflective D=130mm F=720mm
Skywatcher EQ3-2 Synscan
AGK GrabMe Video/Audio Grabber version 10315 (Windows 7)

Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/Nattesyn
Squiip
Super Poster
Super Poster

Unread postby DABOXASH » Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:22 pm

Lovely pictures there skywatcher! very nice indeed!

Darren... :mrgreen:

Ever changing cameras and equipment.

http://infrared-aerial-phenomena-research.blogspot.com/

http://www.youtube.com/DABOXASH
DABOXASH
VIP
VIP

Return to Welcome Introductions and Announcements

You must be a Registered User to Chat in the Shoutbox
DarkSatellite
Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:33 pm
cheers :)